- CodeSuite by Software Analysis & Forensic Engineering
- CodeSuite comprises BitMatch, CodeCross, CodeDiff, CodeMatch, and SourceDetective for comparing and analyzing source code and object code to find copyright infringement and trade secret theft. It can be used for free on small sets of code.
- CodeSuite also includes FileCount and FileIsolate for counting file attributes and quickly copying or deleting entire file trees. Both are free utilities.
Open Source Tools
- The file command determines the file type of a given file, depending on its contents and not on e.g. its extension or filename. In order to do that, it uses a magic configuration file that identifies filetypes.
- List dynamic dependencies of executable files.
- Solaris tool used to trace the system/library calls (not user calls) and signals made/received by a new or existing process. It sends the output to stderr.
- PDF Miner
- "...suite of programs that aims to help analyzing text data from PDF documents. It includes a PDF parser, a PDF renderer (though only rendering text is supported for now), and a couple of nice tools to extract texts. Unlike other PDF-related tools, it allows to obtain the exact location of texts in a page, as well as other layout information such as font size or font name, which could be useful for analyzing the document. It also infers text running within a page by using clustering technique."
- eXtended trace utility, similar to strace, ptrace, truss, but with extended functionality and unique features, such as dumping function calls (dynamically or statically linked), dumping call stack and more.
- Enables kernel process tracing on OpenBSD.
- Executes a program under emulation, performing analysis according to one of the many plug-in modules as desired. You can write your own plug-in module as desired.
- Comprehensive dynamic tracing framework for Solaris (also ported to MacOS X - XRays and FreeBSD). DTrace provides a powerful infrastructure to permit investigation of the behavior of the operating system and user programs.
- Strings will print the strings of printable characters in files. It allows choosing different charactersets (ASCII, UNICODE). It is a quick way to browse through files/partitions/... in order to look for words, filenames, keywords etc.
- Rifiuti (not GPL)
- Examines the INFO2 file in the Recycle Bin.
- Pasco (not GPL)
- Parses index.dat files.
- Galleta (not GPL)
- Parses cookie files.
- MS Windows Recycle Bin INFO2 parser
- MS IE cookie file parser
- Extracts the 'encrypted' info in Yahoo Instant Messenger log files.
- Determines the file type using file header/footer (hachoir-metadata --type), able to list strings in Unicode (hachoir-grep), etc. Support more than 60 file formats.
- Microsoft Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications.
- Utility to hash all files in a folder. Useful for hashing gathered forensic data for proof-of-integrity.
File Sharing Analysis Tools
- eMule Reader
- eMule Reader is a suite of command-line executables for parsing and printing configuration and log files associated with the eMule P2P client. eMule Reader is available free of charge.
- P2P Marshal
- Tools to discover and analyze peer-to-peer files for Windows.
- Mobius Forensic Toolkit
- Mobius Forensic Toolkit scans, retrieves and shows P2P activity information for Ares Galaxy and Shareaza.