Wikipedia on Forensic desoldering
Commonly referred to as a "Chip-Off" technique within the industry - this is the last and most intrusive method to get a memory image is to desolder the non-volatile memory chip and connect it to a memory chip reader. This method contains the potential danger of total data destruction: it is possible to destroy the chip and its content because of the heat and possible physical damage from desoldering.
Chip-Off forensics is an acquisition procedure which involves physically removing the NAND or flash IC from a device and reading it directly on an external NAND/Flash reader. It is considered a last-option technique, as repairing the phone to a working state post-IC removal, is quite difficult.
Tools and Equipment
- Chip-Off BlackBerry Curve 9300
- Chip-Off BlackBerry Curve 9315
- Chip-Off BlackBerry Curve 9320
- Chip-Off BlackBerry Bold 9780
- Understanding surface mount, by Al Williams, September 7, 2015