|Maintainer:||Kristinn Gudjonsson, Joachim Metz, Eric Mak, David Nides|
|OS:||Linux, Mac OS X, Windows|
Plaso (plaso langar að safna öllu) is the Python based back-end engine used by tools such as log2timeline for automatic creation of a super timelines. The goal of log2timeline (and thus plaso) is to provide a single tool that can parse various log files and forensic artifacts from computers and related systems, such as network equipment to produce a single correlated timeline. This timeline can then be easily analysed by forensic investigators/analysts, speeding up investigations by correlating the vast amount of information found on an average computer system. Plaso is intended to be applied for creating super timelines but also supports creating targeted timelines.
Image File Formats
Volume System Formats
File System Formats
- Binary property list (plist) format using binplist
- Internet Explorer History File Format (also known as MSIE 4 - 9 Cache Files or index.dat) using libmsiecf
- Windows Event Log (EVT) using libevt
- Windows NT Registry File (REGF) using libregf
- Windows Shortcut File (LNK) format using liblnk
- Windows XML Event Log (EVTX) using libevtx
It comes bundled with 4n6time, formally "l2t_Review", a cross-platform forensic tool for timeline creation and review, by David Nides.